This week we had the pleasure of the Springer kids with us for a few nights. The four of our kiddos have grown up as cousins and are truly like family. Alora, 4 months younger than Isaac, is so sweet, kind and helpful. Elijah, just 2 months older than Abigail, is such a snuggle bug and has a love for cars, swords and Isaac. It is so fun when we are all together.
Sadly, Elijah was a little tired the first day and wanted to spend more time snuggling with Aunt Amber than running with the other kids. The second morning, he woke up with a 100 degree fever and was quarantined from the other kids all morning. I set him up with a video, a box of cars, drinks, snacks and a cozy place to sleep. I kept checking on him as I attempted to watch, entertain, feed and clean up after the big kids. In the midst of this, we still had the Opferman kids over for our preschool day! Yes, we still managed to do crafts, read books, make yellow homemade play-dough, ride bikes/scooters, do chalk art on the driveway and feed all the kids lunch (and, no, I didn't forget to check on the sick little man...who was being such a trooper).
So what does this have to do with a yogurt hand print?
Well, the planner, doer, stresser, controller in me was a bit overwhelmed by the situation. It seemed like just too much to handle. Instead of letting the circumstances dictate my attitude. I began to pray. I surrendered my day, the kids and my efforts over to the Lord. I asked Him for help, wisdom, strength and joy...resting in the truth that He will not give me more than what I could bear with His strength.
As the day came to a close, I was doing my 5th load of laundry, washing my who knows what number plate of the day, and wiping down many surfaces for a repeated time, I came to the sliding glass door. I was wiping the inside of the glass and saw a full hand print out of yogurt (a fitting snack for "Y" day at our preschool time). Instead of my normal big exasperated sigh, I laughed out loud!!! For those who know how uncharacteristic that is for me to do, I knew it was God at work in my heart. I was TRULY JOYFUL. In that moment I was rejoicing. With a thankful heart, I praise God for a life full of yogurt hand prints. With PCOS (a fertility problem that inhibited me from getting pregnant) and the longing to be a mother, God has truly given me a life beyond my wildest dreams. I could be sitting in my office, making six figures, drinking a Starbucks in a nice outfit with no stains or recent spills on it. I praise God that He had these plans for me instead...yogurt and all!
4 comments:
I am blessed to call you "friend."
Amen to that! I feel the same way... I even feel a little guilty about washing them away sometimes... but I do it anyway :) I'm so glad God blessed you with kids. Love you!!
You always have such deep insight about "everyday things" Amber. I'm glad God blessed you with kids too! You're an amazing mommy.
BIG smile inserted here! I love it.
Post a Comment