Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy 67th Dad...Papa...Tom

"When is a door not a door?"
"When it's ajar!"

If you laughed at that, you'd love my dad. If you didn't...you'd still love my dad.

Here are some fun things about him that you may or may not know:
*He became my dad when I was 9...when he married my mom.
*He used to be in the Fremont PD
*He has raised only daughters (even his "daughter" for a year...exchange student from Germany)
*His retirement activites include making paper models, reading, and drinking lots of iced tea
*He is currently obsessed with weeding and trying to exterminate blackberries
*He took me to my first baseball game...the Oakland A's...when I was in 4th grade.
*He danced with me in the living room in junior high to help me get an A in square dancing
*He was the one who would always quiz me and drill me to help me memorize all my facts for tests in high school
*When I was about 10, I was the perfect height to give my dad a tight hug and crack his back...he asked for a lot of hugs after a long day of work that year.
*My dad always made my friends use phone manners when they called...some just started hanging up when they heard his voice...the others got very good at using manners
*He has attended most (I think all) of his high school reunions over the years (from La Jolla High)
*He loves popcorn and detests lima beans..."Gick-ee!"
*He is a huge servant
*Chris thinks he's one of the best speakers/speach givers/presenters he's ever heard
*He's a prostate cancer survivior
*He still has his red scooter from when he was a little boy
*He has a blog and loves to email
*He just got his first pair of CK jeans...36 inch waist...not a 38
*He makes awesome ribs and potato salad
*He loves to use the Kitchen Aid and makes YUMMY desserts
*He sacrificed living by the warm SO CAL beach to move up here near our family upon retirement
*My dad LOVES people and entertaining...he makes friends very quickly
*He has been the best dad and "Papa" I could have ever hoped for!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! I LOVE YOU SO, SO MUCH!


3 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is very sweet!! And interesting! I didn't know most of those things.

Henzie5 said...

Girl,I laughed so hard at the comment about the phone manners. I remember that!!! Happy Birthday Tom!! You were a great foster dad.

The Somerville Four said...

How blessed you are, Koreny! To God be the glory!