Wow, another mile up felt like a lot longer than that. I found my heart getting flustered as I half dragged/carried my daughter and constantly reminded my son to both hurry up and stay away from the edge of the steep ledge while still stopping to move over and let people pass us on the trail.
We made it to the marker that said 4/11 switchbacks. Then we made it to the pivotal 1/2 mile marker. At this point, I was fully carrying Abigail and Isaac was so tired, asking how much further while insisting that he was too tired to go on. I was began to grumble and get obviously flustered, but my heart opened to the moment. Do we quit or do we continue?
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" Phil 4:13
| If you look carefully, you can see the tiny specs...people. |
When we got to the top, Isaac was so proud. He could not believe how little everything looked so far down below. People that had passed us earlier were congratulating Isaac. His face beamed as he told everyone, "I never quit. I made it to the top, and my mom didn't even carry me."
In the moment of Isaac's little victory and the splendor of the view, I thanked Isaac. "Son," I said, "Thank you for giving me this special gift. Because you didn't quit, I am able to see all this beauty." With a genuine smile and sincere voice, he replied, "You're welcome Mom."
As much as we wanted to bask in the moment, I took a look at the time; we had to nearly run down the mountain to get to the party on time. It was steep and still very wet and slick. Abigail was falling asleep in my arms, and Isaac was now too tired to think about traveling the distance to get back. We relived our perseverance discussions from the journey up as we took the trek down. The cool part about coming down, was being able to encourage the others coming up (many of whom ranged in emotions from being too tired to even notice us to full of sympathy for me as I carried the dead weight of a sleeping daughter). One particular lady was motivated to also finish strong, inspired by a five year old boy who never quit...and was smiling. She stopped Isaac on the path, bent down, looked into his eyes and said, "If you can do it, I can do it!"
The highlight for me as a mom was back down at the bottom of the falls. Isaac said, "Mom, thank you for being a great mom and making me do things like this, getting me healthy, and so I could go and see all of that." I beamed!!! The hard work, perseverance and obstacles were definitely worth it.
3 comments:
I did that hike when I was in my early 20's and it was difficult even then! I can't believe you carried Abigail for most of it! I love how you teach your kids important life/ spiritual lessons in the everyday things.
Now I want to take my kids up there. Am I crazy?
Love his sweet comment.."I did it...and my mom didn't have to carry me" :) Beautiful photos...we need to go visit again soon...
I feel like we are teaching these lessons to our boys on a daily basis. My grandfather always said, "Tiffany, you can do anything you put your mind to." To God be glory!!
Post a Comment