![]() |
| BELLA VIA-Italian street festival I did with a friend during the days of Java n Jazz. |
| This was a scanned partial of a caricature I was hired to do for a retirement party |
| "Feet" that I drew for a class in college. My teacher borrowed them to show her other classes because she liked them so much. |
Well, many of those same moms have skills and stories that go beyond the "everyday mom" that is seen on the surface. Moms I know have college educations that are now being used to enrich their childrens' educations, minister to others and serve in various church ministries. Their resume may look pretty bare since leaving their post college career, but they are working so hard. Their jobs at home may not put them in the spotlight, give them any glory or provide any income, but they are careers, none the less. They are invaluable.
At the same time, there are many of my mom friends that I do not know past the surface of mothering and their children. I don't know what they did before, let alone their skills, passions, past careers, or major in college.
In an attempt to fill in the gaps to those who don't know me prior to "Isaac and Abigail's mom," I would like to let you know my name is actually "Amber." I went to CSUN and graduated cum laude with a BA in Liberal Studies and an Art emphasis. I intended to be a teacher, but only got as far as assisting and substitute teaching. I diverted to became a Realtor. I love the stage! I love meeting, discovering, and building relationships with new people (when it is my job...I still get nervous at group events at church). I left a six-figure career in the height of the housing market to invest in 10...fingers and toes. It was worth every penny!
I loved art, but now spend most of my time setting up crafts, cleaning up glue, vacuuming tiny pieces of cut paper, and washing off colorful paint from the floor or clothing. I still have a stage at home, my audience is just smaller, both in number and in stature. I may not get awards for my performance each quarter, but I do get hand-made cards from my little loves for no reason at all...other than the fact that they love me. I may not get a paycheck, but the reward is great.
One day, I may take a few art classes, go back and get my teaching credential, or be known by my actual name again. Until then, "Isaac and Abigail's mom" (or "Chris' wife" as I am known at his office) is content to be the one who shops at Costco, is involved in the ladies' Bible study at church, does laundry for both her family and the church nursery, works out really early at the gym, takes her kids all over the place in the silver van, bakes cookies for the Arbor staff, and reads more books with pictures than with chapters.
As long as my work brings God glory, that is what counts!
***LISTEN TO THIS SONG: "Do Everything," by Steven Curtis Chapman and let it encourage you.

4 comments:
You are a beyond amazing mom.
I know you are a faithful friend.
I didn't know you were such a talented artist.
I do know how challenging it was for you to make the switch to mommyhood.
And I know it's one of Satan's biggest lies to tell us we are not important or making a difference.
You are making a huge difference in so much more areas than just the kids and you constantly point me to the TRUTH.
Thanks for the reminder. LOVE YOU!
I love what Becky wrote and I couldn't have said it any better. You are right were God wants you. And from the last paragraph, you are PLENTY busy. Praise God for the contentment that comes only from Him and for the gift of each new day to make the most of what you have. To Him be the glory!
I'm going to look and see if you put this on FB because you left of your masterpiece...will upload.
But--I on topic--love this and your heart for living for Him right where He wants you!
I love this Amber! It was such an encouragement to me as well. And, WOW, I had no idea you were (are) such an amazing artist!
Post a Comment