Sunday, July 24, 2011

Birthday Hike at Eagle Creek

Walking to the Alamo for nachos...Sarah's house to swim...to Clothestime for a new Bongo shirt to buy with our babysitting money...home from junior high through the wash...many of my 20 years of friendship with Christina have been spent on foot, side by side. When we lived two streets away from one another in Southern California, we loved to hike in Placerita Canyon.




All these years later, we still love to hike, but the NW offers much more amazing trails. For my birthday, Christina planned a hike on the Eagle Creek trail. It was stunning. I still had to pause to breathe in God's glorious creation as I stood in awe. Christina made sure I didn't stand too close to the edge because of the sheer cliffs...and my tendency to trip (we counted 10 times). I am amazed that we both have the privilege to live in a place that offers so much to do outdoors. I am also grateful that we have the privilege to enjoy days like this together.

After the hike, we sat in the sun and enjoyed a fantastic lunch at Skamania Lodge. There is nothing like sharing a fruit and cheese plate (with greek yogurt, local honey and fig conserve-YUM), great conversation, and a spectacular view of the Columbia River Gorge with a friend to make a birthday lunch complete.

2 comments:

steven said...

Had such a great day in the gorge; the family and I are headed out again today!

The Somerville Four said...

There is no greater earthly gift than that of love and loyalty. You are so blessed to have Christina in your life. xoxo!