Today I had a great date with my son. I had to drop off a camera flash that I rented for a friend's wedding. The camera store is in NW Portland near my old Starbucks that I ran for 2 years. We left in the later afternoon and just before we arrived at the camera store, Isaac fell asleep. I got him out of the car and he said "I should have stayed with mommy and taken a nap; I'm tired." I lifted him out off the car and he fell asleep in my arms, a special moment with a giant 4 year old resting his head on my shoulder. After returning the flash, Isaac woke up and asked if we were going to McDonalds for our special date (I kept it a surprise). I said no, we were going to my old work. He said that he wanted to go to McDonalds. I was a bit hurt, but shrugged it off. We went 2 blocks to Starbucks. We got in line, were greeted and we I ordered Isaac a soy vanilla steamer and me a hot coco.We sat down and I told Isaac some stories of when I managed that Starbucks (he loves hearing about my history). I told him after he was born I took off 1 month to stay home and help Mommy out. When I finally got back to that Starbucks, I began to cry. He asked why, I told him it was because I missed him so much. Then I told him that 2 weeks later, I gave my notice to begin my career in real estate. When I gave him his drink he took a sip and said, "I like it, I like it a lot!" After our drinks, we walked all around "exploring" NW Portland.
It was fun to have Isaac to myself. He is starting to make me a little insecure about my intellect though. I was trying to explain to him why there was tracks in the road. I told him that a street car used those tracks. He said that if something rides on tracks, it must be a train not a "car" then followed it up with, "I think I am smarter than you Daddy." I love that kid!
1 comment:
I so vividly remember your 1 month paternity leave. Matt was so nervous to be "in charge" of the store (especially since Amber was early). He did great, and got promoted very shortly after. We had SO much fun visiting your home to meet tiny baby Isaac. I was still in nursing school and could not WAIT to get pregnant once I was close to being done! When you came back you showed all the customers the pics of Isaac. You were BEAMING. I was definitely envious and could not wait until Matt had a baby to show off to his customers ... 4 years later, Matt has 2 precious sons to parade around his store when I bring them for a visit. So funny to think back on those times. A lot has happened since that March. So so crazy! God has blessed both of our families immeasurably! Thanks for sharing this story :)
Post a Comment