Monday, July 7, 2008

Sometimes Grammas Can Do What Moms Can't





So far, our chubby little baby girl has not liked anything we have few her. With Isaac, I started making baby food right away and freezing food cubes because it's so good for him and much less money. With Isaac, I also fed him milk first and gave him solids after (so he'd take enought milk). WIth Abigail, I try to feed her when she's hungry (even before milk) in hopes that she's more willing to eat, and I'm giving her jarred food because it'll be less waste if she won't eat it. It's amazing how kids are so different...even if you parent them the same. Isaac liked every food I ever gave him (when it was blended...he was picky later with textures). Abigail, on the other hand, hasn't like one think she's tried. So far cereal, banana, pear, and peas have all been YUCK to her. She actually started to cry when I was feeding her last night....and hardly anything makes her cry....it's actually difficult to make her cry. She would turn her head, try to cover her mouth or stick her thumb in her mouth to block the food or push every bite out with her tongue and then keep her tongue out (which she only does when we feed her) to keep us from putting the spoon in her mouth. Daddy and I were laughing at how much she dislikes to eat solids. If you see the video, you can see that she even turns her head away and tries to hide her mouth. I guess these are all normal signs that a baby is not ready for solids (and she's not waking at night because she's hungry or anything), so I guess we'll wait and try agian in a few weeks...one less thing for me to do...that's fine with Mommy.

The reason for the title of this post is because Grandma DeeDee came over today and was able to get Abigail to keep down 5 bites. I still wouldn't saw she was happy about it, but hey, she kept them down. This is the same grandma who got Isaac to like the swings during one trip to the park (after I'd been working at it for months with no results). Sometimes it just takes a grandma to step in. :)

I have been listening to sermons online during the kids' naps and it's been really good for me. I was listening to one yesterday that was really good. It was how we are "slaves" to Christ. It was so encouraging to me. Some may say, "How is it encouraging to be called a slave?" (the sermon address that term specifically...it's very interesting to listen to)...but there is so much freedom and joy in being a slave to a perfect loving Master.

Here is the link if you want to hear it.

http://www.gty.org/Video/

**Copy and paste it then click on the "Slaves for Christ" video

No comments: