Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bible Questions--Mom Not Fully Ready

Isaac: Mom, have you read the whole Bible?
Mommy:Yes.
I: No, I mean like the WHOLE Bible...all of the words?
M:Yes.
I: Well, then why do you still read it?
M:Because it is God talking to me. I read it over because I want to hear what He has to say. It helps me know Him better and be more like Him.
I:Mom, it's not God talking. Men wrote the Bible.
M:Yes, men wrote it, but they are God's words.
I:How did the men know what to write?
M:Isaac, if I told you to write something down for me while I drive, like "Mommy needs milk and eggs," and you did that for me, who wrote it?
I: I did...
M:Well, yes, you put it on the paper, but who is talking? Whose words are they?
I: Yours.

(At this point, I thought it was a great conversation...and that it was over...no, not with my boy and his brain).

I:Well, how did God talk to the men and tell them what to write?
M:Some heard from God directly and others were there with Jesus and wrote down what He said and did...
I:...but how did they know if they were really writing what God wanted and not just what they thought?

(At this point I am wondering where my little boy's child-like faith is...it would sure be easier...yet, at the same time, thankful that he desires to dig deep and really know things. How do I explain something so far beyond me so that a 4 year old can grasp onto it?)

M: Son, it is something I am not quite sure of (though I have read books on how the books of the Bible came to be, but was not even going to go there with my little guy). All I know is that the same God who holds the stars in the sky, created us, and loves us has the power to make His words known to us. I trust in His power and authority and trust that He put together what He wanted to say so that we can know it and know Him.

(This is where faith and prayer come in. Isaac was done with the conversation at that point, and my hope is that his hope, trust and faith would be put in the One who will never be able to fully be grasped or explained).

1 comment:

The Somerville Four said...

I love Isaac's thought process. It's called FAITH. Todd's message was OUTSTANDING today and it was on this very subject. Maybe you should let Isaac listen to pieces of it. Todd's best analogy was comparing His plan on earth to the game of monopoly. It's best I have heard yet.