Saturday, February 19, 2011

Alone Time With Abigail

In the 3 years we have had Abigail, her likes, words, and actions have been overshadowed by her older sibling. We cater to our older one. Maybe it is because he's older; maybe it is his personality. All I know is that Abigail mostly "comes along for the ride."

Isaac had his first sleep-over at a friend's house and that left us with our daughter for almost 24 hours. For dinner on "her special night," we let her help pick the meal, cook and set the table. We all dressed up as royalty and even used cloth napkins. Abigail didn't break character once at dinner! She was the princess, Mommy was the queen and Daddy was the king (crown and all). It was fun to engage with her in conversation. She is charming, funny and very entertaining. She has a lot to say and is also a good listener (she's had a lot of practice listening). After dinner, we read any and all books that she wanted (nothing about trains, dogs or spiders). She was treated to breakfast with king Daddy on the couch snuggling and watching Dora while Mom was at the gym. Then Mommy spent the entire morning playing tea party and dress-up. It was very precious. It was evident on our precious girl's face how special the one on one time was for her.

Truth be known, Mommy had missed Isaac all morning! I miss the energy he adds, the things he says, and seeing the kids together. At one point, Abigail called out, "Hey Isaac! Come here and see this!" I had to remind her that he wasn't here. As excited as I am that he starts kindergarten net year, I know I will miss him (even if it is only a few hours in the mornings). As much as Abigail loves her mom, I think she'll miss her brother too.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Sweet :)

Kara Chupp said...

So fun to have that special time!

The Somerville Four said...

Being #1 certainly has its perks!