Sunday, November 9, 2008

Good News--never old news

As I was reading my Bible today, I stopped to soak in Romans 5:6-10. I replaced the general terms and directed it toward me, making it a prayer. It went a little like this:

Dear God,
Thank You that while I was still helpless, at the right time Christ died for me, the ungodly.
For I know one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But You, God, demonstrate Your own love toward me, in that while I was a sinner, Christ died for me. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, I shall be saved from Your wrath through Him. For if while I was Your enemy I was reconciled to God through the death of Your Son, much more, having been reconciled, I shall be saved by His life. AMEN!


It is both refreshing and convicting to stop and remember the price that was paid for my sins and the penalty I deserved that was freely paid by God through Jesus on my behalf.

It has been nearly 15 years since I have been a Christian. Because God saved me when I was fairly young, it is easy to forget what life was like without His grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness. I remember how life-altering it was for me when I was a new believer. I remember thinking...WOW! Christ died for me. I can't earn it. I have hope in Him. I have a purpose and the excitement of looking forward to heaven. Jesus is AMAZING! I also remember being so broken over my sin at times when I was living for myself and pursuing things of the world/things of the flesh. They never satisfied and left me feeling so empty and burdened with guilt. In those times I remember being so grateful for Jesus who took those sins away...as far as the east is from the west. I remember feeling the literal weight off me when I confessed my sins to Jesus and turned to what was right in His sight.

Today, I don't have those huge, hideous sins in my life like I had back then(I say that with the world's scale in mind...sin is sin to God...my pride, jealousy, discontentment, and laziness are all still "hideous" to Him). I have a consistent walk with the Lord that I enjoy, and it is pretty "normal." It's kind of like my relationship with my husband...It was emotionally up and down in the beginning, but now it is stable and feels so much more secure. Also, like my relationship with my husband, if I let it become routine, it becomes just that...routine. I love my husband and never want to stop being amazed about how he loves me and sacrificially cares for me/our kids. I never want to get so caught up in fulfilling the duties I have as a wife that I miss the joy of spending my life with the man I love so dearly. It's easy to get the routine down...it takes effort to show love and appreciation each day while growing our relationship.

How much more can be said about my relationship with Jesus? He tells me in His word that, as a believer, I am His bride. I am to love Him above all else, live to serve Him, and bring Him glory.

I was reminded today that I really struggle with relying on myself and completing my "checklist." I do it in my home and with my Lord. I can set aside my emotions and passions to simply get the job done. I often find myself just going through the motions. It is easy for me to get used to being forgiven because it cost me nothing. In junior high, the things that I bought with my babysitting money were always more precious to me than what my parents bought. Why? Because it cost me. Jesus offers us something totally free. I know that I can't earn forgiveness (or even begin to "pay Jesus back" with good works), and I can't ever do anything to be considered a "good person." With that said, it is easy forget the infinitely high price that was paid on my behalf. Jesus paid it all with His precious blood while I was God's "enemy." May that never become "old news" and my I never stop being amazed with the God who loved me so much that while I was a sinner, He sent His son to die for me. I am thankful for the Bible/His word that always does it's job in my heart. He says His word will never return to Him void and it's true. He always uses it to shape me, mold me, and make me love Him more and want to be more and more like Him. I have an amazing savior!!!

No comments: