Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First trip to OMSI ***with clarification


We went with Grandma, Papa & Hanna to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) yesterday. It was geared for much younger children than I expected. It is so interactive that we were bouncing all over from exhibit to exhibit. Even though Isaac didn't understand most of what was at OMSI, he was very engaged the entire 3 hours we were there (and would have been for several more hours if he didn't need a nap). We took a handful of pictures in the beginning but got so busy that we forgot about the camera.

I asked Isaac what he liked best about OMSI. This is what he said:
"Eating Grandma's animal, the special lights, growing bigger and smaller, playing with the slime, and I like the museum...and the alligator in the toilet too..."
Guess you had to be there to understand. :)

I was struck by an exhibit that displayed the stages of a baby growing in the womb. They actually have babies that died either by accident or natural causes from 6 weeks to 34 weeks. As I walked around and saw them, I was so sad to know that they were all little ones who never breathed their first breath. I was also amazed how anyone could look around that exhibit and still think abortion doesn't kill a child and is just a woman's "choice." It reminded me to pray for everyone who walked around that room...that their hearts would see the truth about the sanctity of life. Isaac was very intrigued that he looked like that as he grew in my belly.
****Two dear friends read the blog an reminded me what a tender topic abortion is. Because I was emotionally fired up about the topic (with Obama suggesting that he wants to overturn the ban on partial-birth abortion), I didn't think about the fact that their may be people out there who I might hurt with my careless words. It is true that I do pray that anyone seeing the exhibit will see how a baby is a baby from the start. At the same time, I don't want to sound rude, judgemental or unloving toward those dealing with the emotional scars of having a abortion. In no way was I meaning to condemn anyone for their past; I am praying for changed hearts in the present and future. God has and does forgive me for "murder." In 1 John 3, God reminds us that if we hate out brother we are murders. It is also listed in 3 of the gospels as a sin in a long list...which also mentions not honoring/disobeying your parents (which my parents can attest to the fact I needed a lot of forgiveness for). God sees things our list wrongs differently than we do. He hates all sin. We are the ones who place "that's not SO bad" on certain sins. Truly, Jesus paid for all our sins...past and future...if we surrender them to Him. He is gracious beyond measure....
even to me...whose sins put Him on the cross.


By the way, you can't tell how cool OMSI is by these photos, but you can see how much Grandma adores Isaac.

No comments: