Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Son; Little Me


Son, I just want you that I love and appreciate you. I know I am harder on you than I am on anyone. Part of the reason is that I have higher expectations for you than anyone else. The other part is that the things I battle with are the things you do too…and I long so much for them to be flushed out and concurred (in both of our lives). I am sorry the times where I tore you down when I should have built you up. Please forgive me for the times where I have made you feel hopeless when I should have been pointing you to the hope you have in Christ.

You are so smart. I love watching your mind work. I love how you share ALL the things that are going on in your brain. You are so creative, inventive and driven. Every adult who gets to know you expects that you will become an engineer when you grow up (not the one that drives trains…though I know that is the type of engineer you long to be). I love that you are a leader. I love that you have such a grasp of God’s Word. I appreciate that you memorize things easily, long to listen to chapter book,s and are often thinking of and creating new inventions. I also love that you enjoy being with Dad and me. Though we are your parents, I rejoice that you really long to spend time with us, share your heart with us, and engage with us. As you get older, I still hope that you have that relationship with us, even above your friends. I will work hard to be the most important girl in your life until, Lord willing, you get married.

Yet, my precious boy, I pray for your growth in certain areas. Some of your biggest strengths can become your biggest weaknesses when you are trying to do things on your own. When you try to lead when someone doesn’t follow, it is very tough for you. If people or circumstances provoke you, my prayer is that you are slow with your tongue, patient, kind, and gracious as you let others do whatever they do. I pray that you love others more than you love control. I pray that you are able to surrender the anxiousness in your heart when you are not in control…to the One who is in control. I pray that you trust our God who is in control. Surrender the big and little moments to Him. May your eyes be opened to how Big and great God is. Remember that He is on your side and nothing can ever separate you from His love. Remember that His way is always right! Even though you may feel your way is right, it may actually be the way of the fool. Remember that He is quick to forgive you when you ask and is faithful to make you more like Christ when you ask Him to--through His Spirit and His Word.

Please also remember that I am here. I understand more than you know. I see it in your life; I continue to fight the same battles in my own heart. I rejoice that I see God giving me little victories. I rejoice that He can and will do the same with you. I pray that I continue to be a better model…of being quick to obey, slow to question and elevate my own way, of allowing others to lead me, of not being anxious, of being a peacemaker, of showing grace, of trusting God, of loving Him more than anything, and of loving my neighbor as myself. I love you, I love you, I love you.

If you love God with all your heart, soul and mind and your neighbor as yourself, you will be a great success!!!!

1 comment:

Kara Chupp said...

Oh that first photo...it just makes my heart melt...I can't even hardly remember him so little.
This was so beautiful Amber...