Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6
I would have to rename the "terrible" twos with the "training" twos. I am in the midst of an age where I want to take a day off from being a mom...not because I am tired of my children, but because it is tiring being a faithful parent. It is so emotionally exhausting (and often physically) to train up a child in the way they ought to go.
Isaac has loved saying "NO!" to everything and throwing things in anger and having major tantrums. Because God has instructed that "children obey your parents in the Lord for it is right" (Eph 6:1), we know that God demands obedience from our children. Isaac is not disciplined for childishness, but he is disciplined for defiance. It is very clear that he understands the difference, but he is very willful (not unlike his mother). If it wasn't God's clear command to me, as a parent, that I teach him of sin and disobedience in order to point him to the solution...the saving grace of Christ, it would be very tempting just to calm the storm in the moment. It would be easy to give him the toy he is crying for (that I just took away because he threw it at me in anger), because it would quiet him and make him happy...and end the drama. But that is not what God says is loving my son.
I was reading through Hebrews again yesterday and came across a few verses that reminded me that the Lord LOVES those He disciplines. I try to get that across to my son...I also make it a point to have him seek forgiveness from me (who he has wronged with disobeying) and Jesus, who can wash away his sin and help him pursue obedience. Though I know that Isaac is not a Christian yet, it is important to set the stage for repentance and forgiveness of sin that can only come through Christ...and the power to live accordingly that can only come through the work of the Holy Spirit.
So here is my "tidbit" (thanks to my friend, Tiffany, who loves this word) for this afternoon: Isaac was disobeying because he refused to get in his bed for nap and wanted to play trains instead. He got disciplined a few times for saying "NO!" and got his train taken out of his room until after nap because it was an idol (something he put in his heart above obedience, what God wants for him & what is right), and he had a major screaming meltdown (everything is always magnified when he's tired...like most kids...and adults). I told him that I was going to shut his door until he was ready to come out and tell me he is ready to obey and have a good attitude.
Here's the joy of this moment (that reminds me that I need to obey God and not make a "happy boy" my idol rather than following through in training): Isaac screamed for a long time, but it got quiet. I listened in and heard his sweet voice saying, "Jesus, help me to obey and have a good attitude. Amen." PRAISE GOD!!! My smiling boy then came out of the room and told me that he was now ready to go take a nap. I am reminded that I need to pray for myself too, to help me to obey Jesus with a good attitude...especially on the challenging days where it seems to just be easier to let things slide.
Side note: I have the most amazing husband on the planet who has blessed me so much in the past few days by letting me go out with a friend to see Fireproof (which I recommend seeing) the other night, and, last night, he even cleaned up the entire kitchen last night and took care of Isaac while he let me rest. I am so blessed to be married to you Christopher!!!!! I love you a lot!
1 comment:
What a wonderful story, Amber!!! Your son is calling on the name of God so early in his life, and just think you trained him to recognize his need. There is nothing greater than that...seeing one's desperation without Christ. But in Christ, we can do all things!!! Phil 4:13
I love you.
T
Post a Comment