Monday, October 27, 2008

New Covenant in Jesus

I remember thinking that the animal sacrifices saved the Jews who practiced the law of God. I remember hearing that it was Jesus' blood that paid for sins past and future. I remember being confused. I remember thinking, "Why did God get so specific with all those Levitical laws and very specific rules anyway...if they can't save you?" It has been a long time since then and I was reminded of the truth today as I dug in to Hebrews 8-10 today.

Here are some of the verses I really liked today:
Heb 9:22 "without shedding of blood there is no remission"
Heb 10:4 "For it is impossible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins"
Heb 10:1 "the law, having a shadow of the good things to come..."
Heb 9:13-15 "For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance."

So what does this mean to me, personally? I am one who often takes for granted the price Jesus paid for me on the cross. I get so used to the fact that He has paid for my sins with His blood that I sometimes wish I knew what it was like to have to regularly go to the tabernacle and offer up goats and bulls for all the rotten things I do and think. I really believe it would help me to hate my sin like God does. Seeing the blood would help me to see how ugly my sin really is. It would make me appreciate that Jesus was the sacrifice that paid for all my sin, once for all.

The law was established to obey...but God, knew that it was impossible for fallen man to obey 100%. Fall all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. All of us deserve judgement and condemnation. Not one of us is perfect and holy. God used the law to show us the standard that we cannot achieve. It exposes our sinfulness and points us in the direction of our need for forgiveness...found only through the narrow gate...Christ Jesus.

I praise Him that, by no merit or works of my own, He called me out of darkness into His marvelous light. All that reminds me of the great joy it is to serve Him. It is my joy...after all He has done for me.

No comments: