Saturday, April 28, 2012

Living Before the Kids

There are things we do that we do just because we do them. Many of those those things go unseen by our children. They may never see us in our daily Bible reading because we read in bed or at the gym before they even get up. They may never see how we give because we give through bill-pay/online rather than dropping something in the offering on Sunday morning. They may never see how we serve, send notes, and minister to others because we do much of it out of their sight.

The good thing is that we are not doing those things for our children. At the same time, it has become very important for me to make them aware of those things to "live by example." We do it because the Lord sees, we tell the kids so they can see the Lord at work in us.

One "tell it to the kids" moment was a few weeks ago. I had a person at Target ring my purchase incorrectly. After buckling the kids in the van, we had to get out and trek right back in to wait in the return line. Finally after 15 minutes and a walk back to the department where the "buy 2, get 1 free" was clearly marked, I proceeded to return my 3 items so they could be repurchased at the correct price.

I got back to the van and looked at the receipt. Oh no. She refunded me for 4 items instead of 3. "There is no way I am going back in there," I thought to myself. It's only $3 and some change. No big deal. It's not my fault.

God sees. God knows. Stealing is stealing. Lying is lying. Even if it was not my fault, I had to do what was right.

It became a great lesson for the kids. The next day we went back to Target and explained to the lady (a different lady at another store) the whole story. She was shocked that I would come in and be honest. I paid the over-refunded amount and walked away.

I have been talking to the kids about doing what is right even if no one else knows. God always sees, and it's Him that we live for. No one, not even Daddy would have known about that money. No one really even cared about it. But God cares, and I want to do what is pleasing in His sight. I think they got it. I hope they remember it. If they do, it sure made all the work worth my time. :)

2 comments:

Kara Chupp said...

LOVE this...read my quote on today's post.
We're so on the same page dear friend!

Tiffany H Somerville said...

I love you this, Koren! The children WILL remember. Living by example. Words are cheap, but a life lived out for Christ and in way that is pleasing to Him means everything. I am so very thankful for you and the example you are to me. May God bless you for your efforts to be more like Him. xoxo!e