Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween 2011

I have to laugh aloud when I saw our Little Mermaid run from house to house. She is not a runner. She still would rather us carry her than walk. Not on Halloween!!! She left us all in the dust as she ran to every door that had their porch light on. "Come on guys!" she would shout as her little feet clapped along the pavement. When she would get a piece of candy, she would  hold it in the air and exclaim, "Thanks, I'll give this one to my Gramma!" (Worthers), "Wow, I love chocolate!" (Tootsie Roll) or "Look, this one is PURPLE...I love purple!!!" (Jolly Rancher) She would take the one little piece, throw it into her bucket and take off running.

The highlights of passing out candy were the verses we put on them again. We went through all 120 big bars (and nearly 100 little bars) that had John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life" stuck on them with label stickers. The kids were super happy about getting the big bars. One teen even said to his friend, "See...I told you they give out the good stuff...this is the 'God house'" (I guess he remembered us from last year). One kid, who said he went to the LDS church, asked if we were Mormon. I told him we were not but told him what church we did attend. One girl said, "I really like your 'fish' pumpkin...I know what that means." She had a big smile. Some of the parents thought is was a cool idea to put the scripture on the candy. Of course, some kids said, "What'd ya' put all over the candy?" I pray that seeds were planted. Come for candy...get some "real food" as a bonus.




Isaac carved the spider with NO HELP!!!

The volcano pumpkin turned out pretty cool too
I was also fun when some kids from the HS came trick-or-treating for canned food. One of my favorite things was when a group of girls came to the door with an only pillow and were playing the "Bigger or Better" game. They started with a paper clip and went to different houses to trade what they had for something bigger or better. I put them in charge of passing out candy as I went to search. They left our house with our old Swivel Sweeper that no longer holds a charge. They were super excited! The only down side is that they made me keep the pillow (it's now in the trash).  When I told Chris the story, he laughed because he said he saw the girls running around carrying the sweeper and had no idea why.


Captain Jack Sparrow

Her necklace sang, "Ah-Ah-Ah"

Look at those eyes!



I am so proud to call these two my parents! My dad even trimmed a full afro wig and shaped it into a Mr. T cut. He won their  neighbor's costume party. You go Dad!

2 comments:

Becky said...

You guys are amazing! I love the pumpkins, the costumes, the verses on the candy... great ideas! I was wondering how much you went through each year. I want to do something similar next year. Love you guys!

Tom and DeeDee said...

I have to give Gramma the credit for trimming the Afro wig down to something resembling the Mr T Mohawk and helping get the makeup to areas I could;t reach or see. She was a very cool Frenchy from Grease.