Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tent Camping~First Time with the Kids





Chris and I grew up camping. We have fond memories with the family. Chris' dad gave him the "special" job of emptying the "waste water" from the fifth-wheel at the campsite. Chris was thankful to me "man enough" for the task...and that his dad provided him with gloves. He loved the fires, being by the beach, watching Craig triumph up the big hills in a little truck that was not truly equipped for towing such a trailer, all the while, enjoying a delicious box of Chicken in a Biskit.

I have memories of entire summers I ventured off with my grandparents, their camper, their KOA camping book, the bobble compass attached to the dash, and the Ginger the dog (who always got put in early at dark just in case a big owl tried to swoop her up at night). We saw everything: Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Hearst Castle...we came home with all the bumper stickers newly attached to the camper to prove it. We even made it to Custer, South Dakota to stay at the Flinstones Campground. I can picture these places in my mind so vividly, though it has been nearly thirty years since I was there.

We have wanted to give the kids those camping moments that they will be able to hold in their memories for years to come. We have done the hikes, fires, smores, etc. on day trips. We have camped in a Yurt and even tent camped in some backyards, but we have never have the full tent-camping experience with them.  When our friends asked us to join them, we jumped (well, sort of...we still resisted a little knowing how much work it would be and the fact that there is not cozy bed or washer/dryer that we are accustomed to over all the years of timeshare vacations) at the opportunity to camp.

As soon as we go back, I had a message from a dear friend asking if all the work was worth it (we have been friends since childhood and now have kids the same age). I asked Chris, who in admittedly more of an RV guy than a tent guy, the very same question. He said he LOVED it and wants to do it again next year! Yes, there are days of prep, a car busting at the seams with food and "stuff," dirt everywhere, not the most comfortable of sleeping arrangements, and a ton to clean and put away upon returning home...but SO WORTH IT (at least once a year). :-)

What made this trip great?
*Beautiful hikes
 -stunning waterfalls
-congratulating Isaac for conquering another steep climb with no help
-God's creation at its finest (I had many "Do we really live here?" moments along the trail)
*Hearing Abigail and Kayla making up stories, reading books and playing princesses in the tent (using their higher-than-normal voices that are supposed to be princess imitations)
*Teaching the fine art of marshmallow roasting (except for Johnny who likes his smores unroasted and cold)
*Smelling like fire
*Throwing rocks in the river...you can never have a big enough "ker-plunk"
*Watching the boys scooter around with "freedom"
*Eating breakfast outdoors in our PJs and jackets
*Learning from one of the rangers about tracking using our "owl eyes, fox feet, dog nose" and "coyote ears"
*Meals made in foil over the fire
*Sipping a morning cup of coffee and reading outside
*The fact that the kids played so well together that we had a ton of time with just the adults
*Going for a scooter ride date with Isaac (just with Mommy)...I saw my boy turning into a little man...as we scooted, I prayed that we would have many more years of moments like that (where I am fit enough to keep up with him and that he would still desire it)
*The camping gear that we borrowed from the Chupps...the Kelty pads made our sleep at night AMAZING!
*Watching the Opfermans camp with ease! They had one extra baby than our family (and one in the belly), and they made it look SO EASY! They put us to shame. Their van was packed more efficiently, had fun food to eat, and never looked like they would even begin to break a sweat (physically or mentally)...they are a great balance for the Koren family who tend to be quick to stress...if we do this again, we would LOVE to go with them. xoxo

2 comments:

Kara Chupp said...

I'm so so glad it was a fun time... :)
I loved reading about your memories "camping" as a kiddo...makes me smile to think what ours may remember some day.
You're welcome to the camping stuff any time!

The Somerville Four said...

Praise God for great friends and great memories!!