I cannot believe how fast these two have grown. It feels like just yesterday that we were teaching Isaac how to say "A-bi-gail" (when she was still in my belly).
These two tease each other almost all day. They know how to get one another's goat. Isaac, like his mommy, is serious, by the book, and loves to have and execute a plan. He is only really funny, also like his mother, when he is not trying (the harder he tries, the less funny it is). He is very creative and really wants to invent things.
With that said, "Sunshine and Butterflies" AKA Abigail, is easy going and not very serious. She laughs all the time...and easily gets us all laughing. When Isaac is trying to direct her, she often drifts off and starts dancing or doing something silly. She is our comic relief at the dinner table. The things in her that melt my heart are the characteristics I see in her daddy.
It is funny to look back to when Isaac was Abigail's age. At her age he was asking deep questions, really examining big issues, the world, sin, why Jesus had to die...he was saying things like, "Mommy, I just want sin out of my heart."
On the other hand, Abigail, when we sit down with her after she has been disobeying, has no desire to dig deep. Daddy was talking to her the other day after a long day of disobeying Mommy, she was crying and seemed to be broken. Just when Daddy thought he was getting through, she starts laughing (noticing her long sleeves covering her hands) and says, "Look! I have puppet hands!" At the same time, I love her joy and childlikeness as she sings and says her Bible verse. I wouldn't quite say child like faith, but a joyful attitude when it comes to things about Jesus.
It will be so interesting to see how this all plays out as they grow older. We pray that they do come to a saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We pray the the Word that is being hidden in their heart would one day transform their hearts and lives. We also pray that they would see our true love for our Savior and desire to have a personal relationship with our great God.
"Thank you, God, for blessing us with two very unique and individual children with different strengths, weaknesses, gifts, talents, personalities, and fears. Help us to meet them where they are and point them to You. Help us to understand them better and love them selflessly, consistently, gracefully, faithfully...as You love us. When I am tempted to try and control, micro-manage or get exasperated, help me to remember Your love and the great honor it is to be entrusted to parent these two. I take great comfort in the fact that You love them even more than I do. Help Chris and I to follow You more and more as we strive to lead them. You are so good! You have blessed us beyond measure!"
1 comment:
"Puppet hands" made me laugh! Love the post.
Post a Comment