To my darling son,
I cannot even begin to express how thankful I am for the precious gift you are to me from our great God. I always tell you that you are one of the very best gifts God has given me. I love how you sweetly smile and say, "Thank you Mom."
Today I love that we walked holding hands into church. I love that you held the door open for me. I love that your sister lights up when she sees you. I love how your a beautiful mix of both Mommy and Daddy. I loved having a picnic lunch with you on the grass today. I had a great time with you as you explored the "forest" next to Gramma & Papa's house, and we discussed all your amazing discoveries of nature. I had an even more spectacular time with you as we cuddled while reading about Jesus' life from the time he entered Jerusalem on a donkey to the time he rose again. I love that you ask the deepest spiritual questions far beyond what most adults do as you process all Jesus has done for us. I love that you set a great example for your sister at the dinner table tonight and encourage her to do the same (I loved how you creatively came up with--on your own--to make an "airplane" to feed her, her last three bits of broccoli the other day...it was a big help to me). I love that you still like to climb into my lap and love when I hold you and rub your back. I love that you are laughing with Dad in the other room right now and are excited to tell him all bout our day together. It amazes me that all of these moments are just from today!!!
Son, there is so much I appreciate about you. When God started knitting you together in my womb, I knew I would love you. I knew that because you are my son; I didn't even have to meet you to know that. When I met you, I instantly knew that my life was forever changed. You were my darling boy and I would, at any moment, give my life to protect yours. There were challenges to being a parent (some that I expected, some that took me by surprise), but all have been more than worth it. God used you to make me a mommy. I had no idea how much my own parents loved me until I became your mom. As my first child, every milestone was precious. No matter how many siblings you have, you with always be my first born. I will discover stages with you before any other; we will learn may things together as the Lord grows both of us.
You are so unique son (though you are very much like your mother). Your ears are always listening. Even when you are playing with a toy, reading a book and talking you your sister and looking out the window into the backseat, you still are tuned in w/ the the lyrics of the song playing on the radio and ask, "Mom, what does it mean to have one hand holding higher and the other pushing away?" Amazing. It keeps me in check with what I fill my heart with. You confronted Daddy the other day about "stealing" when he said he was going to "steal" something (it was a tissue, chicken or whatever...don't remember). When he tried to explain that it was just an expression, you insisted that stealing was wrong--Dad finally agreed that we shouldn't even use that expression. I love that your wheels are always turning. You ask for the answer; when that answer is processed, you ask an even deeper question...and on and on until we finally admit we don't know the answer and will have to look it up. I love that you ask, not because you are challenging us, but because you really yearn to know and understand. Dad and I are convinced that you are going to be some sort of engineer and work in a cubicle. I love that you love to dig in the dirt. I love that you want to be a godly man, husband and father. I love how you tell me that you are going to go to work to make money for your wife but are still going make your wife/kids breakfast, do laundry and take care of the kids so your wife can have a break. I love that you open the door on your toy Jeep to let your sister get in the passenger side, shut it for her, then go around to let yourself into the driver's side to take her for a ride. I love that you would rather watch a train documentary for an hour than a Disney movie (even though I really do hope you'll enjoy family movie night sometime in the near future). Though I give you a hard time, I appreciate your tender heart...not too many kids your age would get upset as their mom/dad read a story about George the monkey spilling grape juice on the carpet or get scared when Clifford the big red dog knocked over a bush next door (knowing that it would upset his neighbor). I pray that your heart would stay tender to doing what is right and not hurt others. I am amazed of how socially aware you are already. It shocks me how you tell us how certain people commented of the colors in your artwork, or how someone walked into the room and said hello to others but not you, or how you introduced yourself to someone but they didn't tell you their name. I smile as I think about the time you were so exited to introduce yourself to a gardener and joyfully skipped back to me, saying, "Mom, I just made a new friend." I love that you say that I am pretty and Daddy is handsome. I love that you know your job is to love and protect your sister. I love that you are finally getting a little competitive. Enjoy that you will not let something go if it is something you are convicted about (like how you wouldn't let the wrapping paper "litter" the floor of Chuck E Cheese's at the birthday party yesterday; though we told you that someone would get it later, you stopped what you were doing, picked it up and put it in the trash pile). You are a natural leader and are not going to do anything you don't want to do (not to say that you don't ever lead others in foolish choices...but you will NOT follow someones foolish choice if you have decided so--you will not be moved or swayed). I love that you like to make cards for other people; you take so much time and really want to do something that will make them feel special (though decorating wrapping paper was a bit traumatizing to you when you were finished and realized that it would be torn apart). :) You are so good at the memory game, puzzles, recalling details from stories, and are so creative. It makes Daddy and I laugh that you have a little crush on a girl in Cubbies/Bible club. Seriously, you are attentive to what she wears, how she does her hair and what if she leaves early or not (keep up that attention to detail when you are a man...your wife will love it).
Son, I know that one day I will lose the #1 woman spot in your heart when, Lord willing, you get married. I pray that until that day, I model a godly woman to you (so that you would seek a wife who loves Jesus and lives it out). I hope to hold you in my arms and long as I am strong enough to hold you. I pray that I model godly submission to Daddy. I strive to show you that I love God more than anything, then Daddy, then your kids. I hope that I show you truth in love and teach you the meaning of grace and I thank Jesus for the grace He shows me. I pray that you see that I cannot do anything without His strength and strive to bring Him glory in all that I say and do (and pray that God gives you the same desire). My dear son, I pray that you may truly come to a personal relationship with the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and that it would go well with you and you would live a long life...serving Him. Son, with full assurance, I say that...if you have Jesus as Lord of your life...He'll use you to change the world. With all the talents, gifts and strengths He has blessed you with, you could be such a powerful leader for Christ. I am so excited to see what God has in store for you.
Each day I fall in love you more,
Mommy
2 comments:
Amber, what a beautiful note to your son. I hope you save this forever and show it to him when he's 15 and having a rough day, or on his wedding day. You are an incredible Mother and Isaac is blessed to have you. I love you both. xoxo
Simply beautiful, Amber.
Post a Comment