For the fist time in more than ten years, I started and completed a book purely for leisure. I am notorious for starting many books. In the past year or so I have been working on completing the books I start. The ones I have finished include biographies of Christian missionaries, books on how to pray, be a better wife, be a better mom, how to love God more, how to be purposeful with what I eat and how to love others selflessly. Great books. Many of them I have had to stop, ponder, pray and strive to apply what I had just read. They were not, by any means, "leisure."
I decided to read The Help. It has 400+ pages, with small font. It was a big deal for me to set aside the time to read and finish this story "for fun."
Turns out that is wasn't just leisure. It still made me stop, ponder, pray and strive to apply what I just read.
What would I have done? Seeing the injustice of segregation and brutality against people with darker skin...
I would want what is right.
Justice, equality, kindness.
But would I speak up? Stick out my own neck? Risk my own popularity, comfort, safety?
Would I be reach out? Against the crowd? Even brutal, angry crowds?
I know I wouldn't join in, but...
Is being quiet joining in?
Just keeping my head down to what I know is wrong...
See it with my eyes and then just turn my eyes to the floor? Pretend that it is not that bad...
I am thankful that I don't live in Jackson in the 1960s, because I fear that I may have compromised.
Just kept my eyes down and my mouth shut.
Selfish, fearful, waiting for "some else" to step up and speak out.
I would agree with those willing to stick their neck out there...just not tell anyone that I did.
Do I do this today?
Keep my mouth shut when I know something is right, but not popular?
What is wrong in our society here in 2011 that is a cultural norm?
Do I keep my eyes to my shoes?
Lord, keep my eyes on You. Help. Help me. Help me see past popular...to see TRUTH. You are the true Helper. Thank you for being the perfect model of doing right among a culture with rules contrary to Your Word. Thank You for modeling boldness, love, compassion and a vigor against falsehood, in the moment, no matter the cost. Help me to see those moments. Help me to do the same.
Romans 12:1-3
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
2 comments:
I can't wait to read it!! And another book to finish is called Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids With the Love of Jesus. It's by Elyse Fitzpatrick. Love you and hope you guys are having the best time EVER!!!
Amber--I'm so glad you read it...it meant a lot to me and it was strange/hard reading it with Lydi in mind.
Somerville Friends :) Amber is welcome to pass it along to you to borrow and YES on "Give Them Grace"....LOVED that book!!!
Post a Comment