Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Happy 35th, Old Man!

For the first time since Chris was 24, I was able to surprise him for his birthday. My parents (who are AMAZING) offered to watch the kids so I could take Chris out to happy hour. He was surprised by that. While we were eating, friends walked in...shocker.
We teamed up against 7 other teams for a "Pub Quiz."
The theme of the trivia this week was USA. I even brought Chris clothes for the theme...surprise!
Our teams both came in last place...but the ladies did beat the men!
...bragging rights.


My darling husband is 35 today!

When we met, he was 22. I thought he was okay. He was friendly, nice looking, and pretty amusing.

Now, I think he is a dream! He is so much more handsome than he has ever been. In the last few months, he finally got the first few gray hairs he's been hoping for for years. He is strong, healthy, diligent, devoted, talented, hard working, and passionate. He points me back to Christ when I am trying to handle situations on my own. He jumps in to help complete a task (with the kids, the yard, the house...) whenever I need it. He has an amazing way with people. He would give all he had away if God directed him to. He makes the most moist BBQ chicken I have ever tasted. He encourages me so much and is quick to be thankful. He works hard to make me feel beautiful. He adores us (the kids and me) and enjoys his days off. He loves to read and really remembers the details of Bible stories that I forget shortly after reading. His humility humbles me! He is slow to pick battles and covers over so much with loving grace. He is tenderhearted. He loves to serve our neighbors. Though I tease him about being over-protective, I appreciate how he is so protective over our family. He is a thespian. He is Mr. Frugal (again, something I tease him about...but is something I really appreciate about him). His humor hasn't changed, but I understand it more now. He makes me laugh so much (even when others don't get his humor at all). He is willing to go along with things that I like to do...even when they are the last thing in the world that he would choose to do. He helps me to relax and knows how to rest. He loves to stop and smell the roses (well, smell the coffee...but you get the point).He is a good friend, love, husband, father, son, brother...All who really know him are blessed. God gave me a precious gift 35 years ago today...one that gets even better with each passing year.

I love you, Chris!

Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amber, you have become a great writer through these blog posts! I so enjoy these stories and notes you've written. Chris, sounds like you had a GREAT Birthday! Love you both!

CornyCornKorens said...

Still a horrid story teller (out-loud, in person)...

The Somerville Four said...

I agree with Lindsay! And you get an A+ for thoughtfulness. This was such a GREAT idea, Koreny!