Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad, Happy Father's Day!

When Father's Day rolls around, I think of Chris and what I can help the kids do, say, or make to let him know what a great dad he is. At the same time, he's not my dad. This day I want to thank my dad.


Dear Dad,

I love you. I know that it took years for me to appreciate you (truly, maybe not even until I had kids). You had it hard because we did not meet until I was already 9. I was used to not having a father around and I didn't know how to handle it. I had high expectations and those did not include you making any rules...just treating me like a princess. You endured the teenage years, the rebellion, and all my reluctance to you taking the father roll.

I am so thankful for you stepping up and loving me (not based on my actions, but because you purposely chose to). I am thankful that you gave me a curfew that you made me follow, called my friends parents to make sure I was really there, grounded me for crazy amount of time to ensure I would not make the same foolish choices, didn't allow boys in my room, made me use table manners (though I have regressed and still use my fingers while eating), made me work hard and not just hand me money, and protected me as much as you could. The things I most resented at the time, I most appreciate now. You did treat me like a princess...in all the right ways.

I also think is is sweet how cute your face was on our wedding video when you were praying just before you gave me away. Your smile was priceless!

For too many years, I called you "Tom." I don't know when I started calling you Dad, but I know you earned that place in my heart long before I ever said it! I thank God for the perfect plan for my life and the dad that who has been used to shape the person I am today.

I love you more than words.

Your Daughter,
Amber


3 comments:

Henzie5 said...

Amber, this post brought tears to my eyes! You were SO blessed to have Tom!

Lindsay said...

This is so special!! Very sweet and well deserved for Tom.

The Somerville Four said...

Praise God for Tom and he unconditionally, unmeasurable love for you!! It is an example for us all.