Monday, April 26, 2010

Peter Pan

Bethany and I took our boys on a date (our sons, not hubbies). We went to see Peter Pan. It was Isaac's first time at a live play. We have read parts of the story, and he was apprehensive about going because of the crock and Captain Hook. I assured him they were only actors in costumes, and he would be safe. While we waited for the curtains to open, we discussed scenes, costumes, actors and theatre etiquette. When the show started, I was inundated with questions. "What's happening? What are they doing? How are they flying? When is the pirate ship coming? Why is it dark? When is it over? How do they make the tick-tock sound? Where did Peter Pan go? When is the crock coming back? What is happening next? Why does the crock want to eat Captain Hook?" I laughed to myself as I saw a little picture of myself as I watch movies with Chris. I tend to be a very vocal spectator and (especially in detective shows) spend most of my time guessing who did what and predicting what will happen next. My husband always tells me, "Just be quiet and watch." I found myself saying those exact words to my little boy. My fearful son, who hid behind the seats a few times during the show when he was scared of Captain Hook, had the sweatiest palms and fastest heartbeat as we walked up to the actors after the show to take pictures and commended them on their performance. His friend, Johnny, was the first one to be brave enough to take hold of Hook's hook when he offered a hook-shake to the boys. After Isaac saw that Johnny was not harmed, Isaac shook the hook too. He was so proud. Isaac said that his favorite character was Wendy. He got so shy when he took a picture with her and turned red in the face. (Is it crazy that my 4 year old is so interested in girls!?!?)
That night, as Isaac drifted off to sleep, he said, "Neverland...Neverland." When Daddy got him up in the night to take him potty, he didn't open his eyes, but he did say, "I shook Captain Hook's hook." Aside from the nightmare he had about 1:30am, it was a great show! So fun! Great memories!

2 comments:

steven said...

Love the expression on Isaac's face when he is standing next to Wendy. A future ladies man.

The Somerville Four said...

I echo Steve's comment. And how wonderful for you to expose Isaac to live theater at an early age!!:)